Saturday, October 6, 2007

Windows Server 2008 RC

I downloaded the release candidate for Windows Server 2008 after my MSDN presentation. I must say that is some pretty cool technology. I found the install much simpler after doing my Windows Server 2003 installs.

I Loaded it into a virtual machine on my Vista Buisness 64 bit laptop.

I just completed configuring it as a Domain Controller, DNS Server, Application Server and IIS Server Pretty cool and pretty easy.

After doing my presentation on WCF (I will blog more on this later) I am especially interested in some of the new options in IIS 7 options for hosting WCF applications.

I will probably end up with several VPC environments to test some stuff out. Right now I am looking at
  1. One where I install the July CTP of SQL Server 2008 (can I install Sharepoint services on this?)
  2. One where I install SQL Server 2005 standard and Sharepoint Services.
  3. One where I install the Orcas Beta 2 Team Foundation Server.

I am also going to configure a client VPC to run Vista Business 32 and the Orcas Beta Team suite.

I am sure I won't get this all correct the first time so I will be playing around with different versions of the server configuration. Nice time to have the 64 bit laptop and the Terrabyte disks. I will save off the VPC in various configurations then copy it back to add software or reconfigure it.

No comments: