Monday, October 22, 2007

Windows Sharepoint Services 3.0

A friend of mine (Joe DeWitt) got me to looking at Windows Sharepoint Services as a development platform.  I had used Sharepoint MOSS 2003 at Micron and was aware of some of the features but had never really looked at the development features too heavily since t was based on .NET 1.1.

So when I started to look at what it would take to get my MCPD (web) I started taking a closer look at WSS 3.0.  I must say I am impressed.  I always tend to look at things from a developer perspective so I picked up a copy of Developer's Guide to Windows SharePoint Services V3 Platform.  Man this thing is cool.

I must admit I am only up to chapter 3 on Authentication and Authorization but so far I am really impressed.  Microsoft is providing a heck of a web development framework as a simple (and free) add on to Windows Server IIS.  With the addition of the workflow functionality in the .NET framework 3.0 you get a extremely powerful web development platform.  After playing some with the Orcas beta I can see that the next release of WSS will be even more amazing. 

I still plan on getting the MCPD Web but can see I will also be getting the MCTS for Sharepoint in addition to the Web certifications.   The functionality of WSS is just to cool not to use especially since WSS 3.0 is free (MOSS is a CAL based license but WSS 3.0 is available as a simple addon to IIS).


Currently I am listening to Antics in the Forbidden Zone by Adam Ant

No comments: