Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It is all about Portability...

As cell phones get more and more powerful, you wonder how soon they replace laptops.  Primary thing missing are good keyboards, mice, decent size monitors, better performance and memory.  The Windows CE development environment is there already.  So let's take a look at these one at a time...

  • Now I can get a 8 gig memory card from SanDisk for about $50.  This kind of makes me wonder.  How much document memory etc do you need?
  • Now for keyboards I can get any number of virtual keyboards although the support looks a bit shaky.
  • For Mice can I use any standard Bluetooth mouse?
  • Now here comes a projection system.  Is this a possible replacement for the monitor?

Mind you,  none of these are that great now, but with cell phone providers adding more and more content to the phone and revenue from voice communications stabilizing you will probably see cell phone providers going after any source of revenue they can find.  Of course I don't think I will see Visual Studio there anytime soon, but who knows?

No comments: