Friday, November 16, 2007

Routing...

It has been a while since I really had to pay attention to the physical network infrastructure (or logical for that matter). Most of this was handled by Microns networking team. In addition my home networks have always used routers provided by the ISP or again configured by Micron. So for the last few years I have not had any reason to pay much attention to routing and network infrastructure. In a big company like Micron it was impossible to be involved in everything and my primary role was a developer and architect.

That being said I have been in the industry for 25 years and before I came to Micron I was a networking geek. Heavy into Unix, TCP/IP etc before all the GUI's and such in use to day came along.

So I understand all of the things you need to do and all the software you have to have to make one of your computers a router and gateway for all the rest. I have just not had to do it for a while.

So you guessed it, I am now having to configure all of this. Wow what a pain. I wish I could just set up the wireless router and walk away. My old pea brain is having a little trouble going down all those unused pathways again.

However I got everything kind of limping along now and am swiftly remembering and learning how to reconfigure networks using the new GUI stuff in Windows Server 2003. A lot different then WIndows NT 3.51 and the old AIX boxes I did this on before. I am not sure I like all the GUI's on the UNIX and Windows side. Everybody keeps moving around all my configuration files. Sometimes I feel like I need a trail of bread crumbs to find where everything is.

But on the plus side I am quickly learning everything it takes to pass Exam 70-291. Not the one I planned on doing first, but I guess the best layed plans never survive the first encounter with the enemy (or something like that :-)).

No comments: