Friday, November 9, 2007

Customizing the Virtual Server

All my virtual machines will be created using the same base install. To accommodate this I will first create the virtual machine and then add some items to make up the primary configuration.

Before creating the base virtual machine that will be copied over for all the rest of the virtual machines, I want to first set some virtual server options. To do this go the the Virtual Server Section and click on the Server Properties Hyperlink. Now click on the Search path hyperlink. This gives you a dialog box with two text boxes.

On my Notebook all virtual machines are created on the second 160 gig drive. They all go to the D:\Shared Virtual Machines\ folder. So I enter D:\Shared Virtual Machines\ into the Default virtual machine configuration folder: text box.

The Search paths dialog box provides search paths for iso images to be installed and virtual hard disks to attach to the server. My software images are on the c: drive in c:\software and my disks drives are created in the D:\Shared Virtual Machines\. Folder in the hard drives folder.  These two paths are entered on two separate lines in the Search paths dialog box. 

Now click Ok to save the options.  With these two settings in place I can not go create the empty hard disk files I will use in my virtual machines.

No comments: