Friday, October 3, 2008

Sunny Florida

Well, I am the second elgant coder to be outside of the Boise, Id area.  I have moved to Florida and am currently camped in a hotel on Ormond Beach. 

Although I enjoyed my 10 years in Boise it was time to move on.  After being riffed off from Micron I was pretty much at ends as to what was keeping me in Boise.  I had originally moved there in 1997 to be around my mom.  After she died in 2003 there was little keeping me in Boise except for momentum.  I had no real reason to change.  Micron's layoffs gave me a good reason to think about moving on.

I have always wanted to see a shuttle launch and wanted to be around a ocean again.  So with those two criteria Florida was really the only choice.   I spent two months driving across America seeing family I had not caught up with in years.  In addition I spent some time just seeing the country.  Something I have wanted to do for years.  I traveled 9000 miles in 60 days and went from one end of the country to the other.  A great trip for me and the cat (although I am not sure the cat would agree :-)).  I will be posting some blog entries about the trip over the next few weeks.

For now I am planning on staying on Florida for a while.  I will start looking for full time work next week.  I am excited about the change and looking forward to some new challenges.

No comments: