Monday, March 17, 2008

Taking the Library Digital...

I have been collecting books for over 40 years. So now I have about 400 Technical books. As for the Fiction I have almost 5000 volumes of those. Ran out of wall space in the house and the garage last year.

One of the reasons I picked up my kindle was to reduce the amount of paper I was throwing away. I went to getting a online subscription of the Wall Street Journal. Downloads everyday and no paper to throw away. I also have started picking up the classics off project gutenburg, new ebooks from baen and fictionwise. Up to 400 or so books on the kindle.

I am currently reading some fiction,
· Fatal Revenant by Stephen Donaldson
· Myth-Gotten Gains (Myth Adventures) by Robert Asprin and Jody Lynn Nye

I have started buying my technical books as pdf's so I am reading
· Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008
· Client-Side Reporting with Visual Studio in C#
· Pro C# 2008 and the .NET 3.5 Platform, Fourth Edition

I also switched to getting my Music (over 10,000 tracks) as MP3 downloads from amazon and My dvd's through Amazon Unbox to save space. The only disadvantage I see so far to going digital on this stuff is I am using over 100GB for Music, 450GB for ~700 movies and TV shows and ~5GB for electronic books. I am trying to find out if I can put a 8GB Sd card my kindle now and I think I will try to pickup a MS Home Server from HP to supplement my 1TB World books.

Now I just need something like this http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/05/buffalos-linkstation-mini-packs-1tb-into-entirely-too-small-an/ to carry around some of my digital collection with my laptop.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.