Monday, January 7, 2008

A 832 GB Flash drive

This was just announced at CES, a 832 GB Flash drive. I am sure it is a bit pricey for now but is this the future of hard drives? Since they can be of almost any size I guess it is a question of how cheap the memory gets. It would be bizarre if the was signaling the end of the old hard drives.

The hard ware aspects of computers continues to astound. Multi-core processors with Gigabytes (maybe even terabytes) of memory, fiber optic Internet connections to the home, Multi-gigabyte solid state drives and computers with built in high speed cellular modems (I get 1.5 Mbits on my Verizion modem on a cellular net).

The amazing power and capabilities of the machines that will be built in the next few years never ceases to amaze me. Developing software for these systems in the next 10 years is going to provide a incredible challenge for software developers.

I guess all you can do is get in hang on and enjoy the ride. It will be an interesting ride for the next few years.

No comments: